Friday, February 6, 2015

Math Printmaking



Hello!

Today we talked about Print making!

Here is the powerpoint that I used:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/13cgQxpQSoTs6LIDBntw1DVF5E6Z9jVi9SCpjU55KgJ8/edit?usp=sharing

First I asked what the class thought of what printmaking was. The student described printmaking as a stamp.
They  really liked the idea of printmaking. I showed them on the board how the prints will be a mirrored print of what they made. I talked about Andy Wharhol and Kiki Smith and what different techniques they used to create their art. While showing a video about Kiki Smith and her printmaking process I talked them through the process of making a stencil, putting a velvet amount of ink on the stencil, pushing firmly the stencil to the paper and pulling off the stencil. I also talked about how this process was going to be a little bit different than what we would be doing in class because of money. We did not have copper plates but styrofoam rectangles to sketch on and no giant press to press our stencils.
We then talked about different geometric shapes they know and drew them on the board. They also took a rectangle piece of paper and measured the small size to practice making a perfect square.
All of the explaining and going over concepts they knew took over most of the class period.

Then we started to work on our stencils. I checked each stencil to let them know and if needed told them to push more into the styorofoam. I explained of this importance and how they needed to make the stencils with these geometric shapes and fill the rectangle space. We talked about how we can use tools in different ways then what they are intended for. We used the ends of the paint brushes to make the indents in the foam. While they were making their stencils I demostrated what I meant by how much paint (velvet) was needed and made my own prints on a piece of paper. Once we made the stencils it was time for me to go unfortunately. Hopefully we can finish the prints this week so we can move onto our next project of origami boxes and installation!










They thought this was super cool!

I came back two days later and their prints were amazing! Here are a few!



No comments:

Post a Comment